The subscription retries function enables personalized retry settings when subscription-generated installment orders encounter issues. For example, if your customer's payment doesn't go through, the system will automatically make additional attempts based on the customized settings configured in your Environment Variables.
When a subscription exceeds the maximum number of retries, Chord OMS will automatically cancel the subscription. This prevents the system from constantly retrying subscriptions that have not be fixed and improves the accuracy of the number of active/valid subscriptions in the system.
Chord OMS will never cancel subscriptions due to out-of-stock failures.
A subscription installment order may fail for three reasons:
- Payment failure: this is the most common type of failure, which occurs when a payment cannot be captured with the card associated with the subscription (e.g., the card has expired or the issuing bank declined the payment).
- Out of stock: one (or more) of the subscription line items is out of stock.
- General failure: captures every other type of failure that could occur.
Navigate to your Settings --> Store --> Environment Variables.
Scroll down and add the following:
Maximum number of days that a subscription can be reprocessed. After that time, the subscription will be auto-canceled. Value can be set up to a maximum of 5 days. The default value is 5. If this value is 0, Chord OMS will not retry the subscription installments and the subscription will be automatically canceled after the first failure
Determines the number of days Chord OMS will wait before reprocessing a failed installment. The range is between 1 and 7, and the default is 1.
For example, if this value is 5 and a subscription installment is generated and fails on January 1, the system will NOT attempt to reprocess that failed installment until January 6. (5 days)
What does this mean?
Chord OMS will not retry the installment when the SUBSCRIPTION_MAXIMUM_REPROCESSING_COUNTER value is set to 0. The installment state will be unfulfilled, the order state will be canceled, and the subscription will be canceled (i.e., no further installments will be generated).
When the SUBSCRIPTION_MAXIMUM_REPROCESSING_COUNTER value is > 0 or Undefined, and the subscription has not had any previous failures when an installment fails
- Chord OMS will retry processing the installment the following day.
- Chord OMS sends an event to Segment, depending on the type of failure (see below).
- Chord OMS logs a subscription event noting the failure, viewable on the Subscription page in Chord OMS.
- Chord OMS emails your customer about the failure (if enabled in your store).
When the SUBSCRIPTION_MAXIMUM_REPROCESSING_COUNTER is reached and an installment fails:
- Chord OMS will not retry the installment.
- Chord OMS repeats the same steps mentioned above when an installment fails.
- Chord OMS cancels the subscription and sets the Actionable Date to blank/null.
- Chord OMS sends a Subscription Canceled event to Segment
- Chord OMS logs a subscription event, noting the subscription is canceled, viewable on the Subscription page in Chord OMS.
- Chord OMS sends an email to the customer that the subscription is canceled
In the example below, you can see this subscription order has a failed event due to an out-of-stock item; The Installment_out_of_stock event type indicates the reason for the failure. A more detailed explanation can help you identify the issue.
The Retry Installment function allows you to initiate
Suppose the SUBSCRIPTION_MAXIMUM_REPROCESSING_COUNTER is configured with a value greater than 0 but equal to or less than 5. In that case, the installment will undergo another retry the following day
However, if you want to initiate the installment processing immediately, you can click on the Retry Installment button, which will again trigger the processing of the installment.
Subscription Payment Failed
Subscription Out of Stock
The subscription was canceled because the maximum reprocessing time threshold was met