The promotions feature allows you to give discounts to customers. Sales and discounts attract new customers, increase conversions, and ultimately drive sales.
Chord provides a powerful rule-based promotions system that allows you to grant flexible discounts to your customers in many different scenarios.
What is a Promotion?
Discounts can be applied to different amounts that make up the order:
Discounts can apply to the entire order's cost.
Discounts can apply to a line item (or a set of line items) on the order.
Discounts can apply to the shipping charges on the order.
Discounts can be applied using a coupon code.
Discounts can be automatically applied to the order.
The promotions system is composed of four concepts:
- Promotion handlers are responsible for activating a promotion at the right step of the customer experience.
- Promotion rules are responsible for checking whether an order is eligible for a promotion.
- Promotion actions define the discount(s) applied to eligible orders.
- Adjustments are responsible for storing discount information. Single promotion code: you will be able to create a promo code and share it with your customers
The following sections summarize the main parts of the Promotion.
- Name*: The name for the promotion. That name is displayed to customers as an adjustment label when the promo code is applied.
- ex: If your promo code is testing123! and the name of your promotion is Promotion Testing your customers will see Promotion Testing at checkout
- Description: Description for the promotion. This description will be used/seen by internal users only to verify what the promo is about - When you start entering a lot of promotion codes it is always best practice to add as much information as to what this promo is and who can use it, so you can keep track of them in a more organized way
- Usage_limit: How many times the promotion can be used before becoming inactive
- Start and End dates: Optional date values for the start and end of the promotion. if start date field is left blank, the promotion will start automatically and if end date is left blank, the promotion will never expire
- Per_code_usage_limit: Specifies how many times each code can be used before it becomes inactive.
- Always Apply: By default, the Chord OMS Promo/Discount only applies one promotion adjustment rule at a time. If more than one promotion is eligible for a specific order, we apply the one with the discount with the highest dollar valueWith Always Apply enabled, the rule will disregard this 1 discount limitation and the OMS will always apply the promotion in addition to any other that the order is eligible for. Essentially allowing for “stacked” promotions.
Promotion category Select the category that relates to your promotion. Think of a category as a way to determine what type of promotion your discount is.
The category can be defined in Promotions --> Promotion Category
- Single promotion code: you will be able to create a promo code and share it with your customers
- Multiple promo codes: selecting this option will promote creating batch promo codes
- Promotion Code This is the promo code the customers will provide at checkout
do not make your promotion code too easy or too complex!
Discount Rules section
This is where you can determine what will trigger the discount that allows you to grant flexible discounts to your customers in many different scenarios.
Promotion rules are responsible for checking whether an order is eligible for a promotion.
- ItemTotal: Eligible if the order total (before any adjustments) is less than or greater than a specified amount
- You can use this promotion rule if you wanted to provide a discount to an order total that meets a specific amount criteria. For instance, if the order is Greater Than $300 you might want to provide a discount
- Product: Eligible for specified products only
- You can use this promotion rule if you wanted to give your customer a discount if their order included specific product(s)
- User: Eligible for specified users only
- You can use the promotion rule if you wanted to give specific customer(s) a discount.
- FirstOrder: Eligible for a customer's first order only. The email address will be verified so User will need to be logged in
- UserLoggedIn: Eligible for users who are logged in.
- This promotion will only be available to logged in users
- OneUsePerUser: Eligible for use one time for each user. User will be to be logged in
- Taxon: Eligible for products with specified taxons.
- Taxons and taxonomies are a categorization structure that can be created in the OMS and products can be associated to multiple taxons.
- e.g. Taxonomy > Taxon > Taxon > Taxon ...
- Category > Home > Kitchen
- Brand > Nike
- NthOrder: Eligible for a customer's nth order only.
- You can use this promotion rule if you wanted to give a customer a discount after a certain number of orders that customers is placing
- OptionValue: Eligible for specified variants (product option values) only.
- Option values are associated to variants and this promotion rule will select all variants in the cart with a particular option value, such as "Storage: 500GB".
- FirstRepeatPurchaseSince: Eligible for a customer's first repeat purchase since a specified date.
- You can use this promotion if you wanted to give your customers who have not placed an order within a certain amount of time. This is calculated in <days>
- UserRole: Eligible for users with the specified user role.
- You can use this promotion if you wanted to give your Influencers, Ambassadors, Affiliates or any social marketing programs you are using with this specific roles. To create a role please refer to this guide
- Store: Eligible for users who are shopping in the Store you select
- You can use your promotion to specific sites/stores you have. The discount will only apply to the one you specify here
- Affiliate: Eligible for Affiliates who will share their promo codes for the Affiliate Programs
- You can use this promotion after you have created an affiliate program - Please refer to this document Create Affiliate Program
- Referral: Used for Referral Program
- You can use this promotion after you have created a referral program - Please refer to this document Create a Referral Program
- Order contains Subscription: Eligible for users whose orders contains a new subscription
- You can use this promotion if you wanted to provide a discount to your customers placing a subscription order. Your customers could use a promo code defined here or you could use "Apply to all orders" to have it automatically applied. We will cover this in the Single Promotion document
- Item count greater than: Eligible for users whose cart contains the item you will select greater than
- You can use this promotion to setup a certain amount of items your customers must have in their cart for the discount to apply
- Subscription interval greater: Eligible for users whose Subscription interval length is greater than
- You can use this promotion to setup a certain interval unit your customers must have in their subscription for the discount to apply - This is defined in Days, Week, Months or even Years - For instance, if the subscription is greater than 2 months, the discount would apply
- Customer has subscription with tags: Eligible when customer has a subscription and the subscription has tags.
- Order has subscription with tags: Eligible when the order is a subscription and that subscription has tags.
- Is a subscription installment:
Before using your promotion, please refer to these API documents below to help you understand tags and how to set them up:
Adding tags to Subscription orders
- Dynamic Promotions: Eligible when there is a dynamic promotion tag associated on an order line item
- This adds the ability to associate a promotion to a line item “on the fly”, e.g. individualized "last chance" promotion advert.
- Create a promotion in the Admin UI with associated “dynamic promotion codes.”
- Associate the dynamic promotion code via the API when adding the line item to the cart
- OMS API documentation with an example request body.
- ForPostCheckout Cross-Sell: Eligible only during the cross-sell phase after checkout is completed
- A checkbox on the discount calculator defines if it will apply to the quantity cross-sold post-checkout.
- Variants(s): Eligible for Products' Variants only
- You can use this promotion if you want to provide your customers with a discount based on variants in their cart. A variant can be a Size Small, and Color Green of a t-shirt (t-short being the product)
- OrderInCountry: Eligible to all countries that are active in your store.
- You can use this promotion to provide your customer with a specific discount based on a specific country. You would need to be set up for localization. Please refer to this document.
- Subscription creation order: Eligible for users who are creating a new Subscription at Checkout
- This promotion will only work for new subscriptions.
- Subscription installment order: Eligible for users whose subscription has installments
By default, all promotions have a match policy value of all, meaning that all of the promotion rules on a promotion must be met before the promotion is eligible. However, this can be changed to any.
If you wanted to create a promotion that would ensure that your customers have either $100 worth of products in their cart or 2 specific products, you would want to use Match any of these rules
Promotion actions are responsible for defining the discount(s) to be applied to eligible orders.
- Create per-line-item adjustments: Creates an adjustment for each applicable line item in the current order.
- Create per-quantity adjustments: Creates per-quantity adjustments. For example, you could create an action that gives customers a discount on each group of three t-shirts that they order at once.
- Add free item(s) when selected, item of your choice is added to the order - Variant/item will be selected after you click Add.
- FreeShipping: This creates an adjustment that negates all shipping charges.
if you have any questions or need help, please reach out to us at firstname.lastname@example.org